Spring Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette
Pasta salad is perfect for Springtime! This recipe is an easy and delicious way to stretch out fresh seafood. Tender orzo pasta, roasted salmon, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, and salty feta are tossed with a zesty citrus dressing for a beautifully hearty salad. There's something about the texture of orzo pasta that makes me crave it all the time! This Spring salad is great for emptying the fridge - don't have asparagus? Use peas, spinach, or beans! Sub shrimp for salmon or leftover chicken and feel free to use Parmesan instead of Feta :) If you're cutting carbs, toss all these ingredients with crispy Romaine or kale.
I'm extra excited about this recipe because I discovered a new way to cook flawless salmon! I have been eating salmon every night ever since trying out this new method, no joke. Simply season a filet of salmon with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper - and then throw it under the broiler, yes the broiler, for about 5 minutes (depending on the size of the filet). I thought that there would be no way the salmon would come out tender and flakey - but to my surprise, the fish was as moist, flavorful, and perfectly cooked as I've ever seen. I can't believe how simple this is. It's a no-fail recipe.
Getting back to the orzo salad, you can serve this warm or chilled. There are some definite Greek flavor profiles here! It's super versatile and great for bringing to work for lunch. I love how bright and fresh this pasta salad tastes, and it's packed full of yummy nutritional goodies. Let's get cookin!
What You Need:
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice - juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp evoo
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
What To Do:
- Preheat the broiler.
- Wash and trim 1/2 lb of asparagus, and chop into 3 inch pieces. Halve and season the cherry tomatoes.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the asparagus, cook 90 seconds or until crisp-tender. Remove the asparagus from the water with a slotted spoon, keeping the water in the pot.
- Bring the rest of the water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook according to package directions.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette.
- As the orzo cooks, season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Place the salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook the fish under the broiler for 5 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork. The fish will feel firm to the touch, yet still have some bounce to it.
- Once the fish is cooked, use a fork to break up the flakey salmon! Isn't it crazy how easy it is to cook perfect salmon? :)
Look how ridiculous this fish is! Butter.
- Combine the orzo, asparagus, thinly sliced red onion, fish, tomatoes, and lemon-dill vinaigrette. Toss to coat. Taste for seasoning! Sprinkle crumbled Feta or your favorite cheese over the top and serve warm or chilled.
This pasta tastes like Spring. Lemon and dill are perfect partners for fresh salmon, and the addition of tart cherry tomatoes, zingy red onion, and creamy feta are really delicious together. If you like it spicy, add in some sriracha or red pepper flake :) Use your imagination and use this recipe as a spring-board for emptying your fridge! Get creative :) Have a great week! xoxo