Crispy Prosciutto Breakfast Sammies
Breakfast might seriously be my favorite meal of the day. I love eggs, cereal, oatmeal, crepes, omelettes, blintzes..pancakes...waffles.........and I'm salivating. Breakfast has an endless options and one of the great ones is the almighty breakfast sandwich! Sometimes there is nothing better than hearty, toasted bread holding together savory breakfast goodness. This is a super simple breakfast sandwich - use it as a springboard for ideas to make your own, using what you already have! For me, it's all about texture, so I start with a base of creamy avocado, mixed with lime, cilantro, red onion, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add pan-crisped slices of salty prosciutto, and top it off with a nice, runny egg for the perfect breakfast combination. If you've never had crispy prosciutto, go, now! Baking or gently pan-frying tender, delicate pieces of prosciutto transforms the already delicious treat into intensely flavorful, crisp pieces of heaven. You can add pieces to a salad, toss them in pasta, or eat them like chips like I do ;) Let's get cookin!
Watch the video recipe:
Ingredients You Need:
- Toast or Muffin of your choice (I used a really nice brown rice muffin! :)
- 1 egg
- A few slices of prosciutto
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes, shichimi, or your other favorite seasoning
- Smashed avocado:
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Fresh lime juice
- Smash 1 avocado with fresh squeezed lime juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and diced red onion. Add red pepper flakes if you'd like!
- Pop your bread or muffin into the toaster while you heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add pieces of prosciutto to the pan, watching carefully as they crisp up quickly. Hello caramelization! <3
- Remove the crisped prosciutto from the pan once it has some nice color to it. Using the same pan (don't clean it! FLAVOR), add a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry an egg.
- Stack it up! Spread the smashed avocado on the toast, topping it with crispy prosciutto and an egg. Some caramelized shallots would be great as well :)
I hope this got your tummy rumbling and some inspiration going! Some other yummy ideas: I like crisping up leftover shredded Costco rotisserie chicken, and adding scrambled egg to it. There's something about the way the edges of the meat get so nice and golden brown, and intensely salty that works perfectly with eggs. You can also use some nice heirloom tomatoes, turkey bacon, Canadian bacon, or hard-boiled eggs :)
If you've tried any recipes from Broke and Cooking, let me know! Comments, tags, and pix are so welcomed :) Find me on IG @brokeandcooking / #brokeandcooking! Hope you have a great week!