Microwave Sweet Potato Mash
I've been making Sweet Potato Mash this way since high school. Some of my favorite recipes come about from a bit of laziness. :) This method really celebrates the sweet potato for all of its natural beauty and can be made while you're making the rest of your meal. Here in my apartment in Hong Kong, I have one induction plate, vs 6 burners at home in the States. This has really changed the way I cook, especially when it comes to timing and the order in which I cook things. It's nice to have the option to prepare a satisfying side dish like this one, in the microwave while I cook something else on the induction plate.
The incredible sweetness of the flesh on its own blows my mind every time. Normally, I just prepare the mashed sweet potato with flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper, but today I'll show you how adding a bit of freshly grated ginger and a dash of cinnamon can elevate this simple side dish to something really special. There's no need to add tons of cream or fancy ingredients when the flavor of the sweet potato is so vibrant on its own.
Watch the video recipe below to see just how easy it is to make!
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 sweet potato
- flaky sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 bowl of water
- optional: bit of freshly grated ginger, dash of cinnamon, butter
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato.
- Use a fork to pierce holes all over the sweet potato. This helps the steam escape (and ensures that the sweet potato doesn't blow up in your microwave!)
- Place the sweet potato on a microwave-safe plate, adding a bowl full of water alongside the sweet potato. This will essentially steam the sweet potato quickly.
- Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potato from the microwave and split it open, slicing it down the center from one end to the other. The sweet potato should be tender, but the center will still be a bit hard.
- Continue to microwave the sweet potato for another 5-7 minutes or until it's completely soft. (Be sure that there is still water in the bowl)
- Remove the sweet potato from the microwave and use a fork to scoop and mash all the flesh from the skin.
- Season with flaky sea salt and pepper.
- Optional: Mix in a small amount of freshly grated ginger, a dash of cinnamon, and pat of butter.
Look at all the sugar that came out of the sweet potato after microwaving it!
Adding fresh ginger pairs so beautifully with the sweet, nutty flavor of the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes turn magically fluffy when cooked, and have a wonderfully creamy texture. These take such little effort - they're a side dish dream come true :) Hope you add these to your weeknight meals!