It’s watermelon season! Watermelon is available year round, but its peak season is May through August. Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits! It has a ton of nutritional benefits, such as a significant source of the antioxidants beta-carotene and vitamin C. It contains lycopene, and is composed of 92% water, making it great for snacking on during warm weather since it helps to keep you hydrated.
Watermelon is soo versatile! You can make smoothies, salsas, sorbets, salads, on its own with lime and salt, or into a refreshing cocktail! This margarita is a crowd pleaser - the perfect mix of sweet and tart - with a good amount of booze that’ll get your party goin.
What You Need: (Serves 4)
- ½ personal watermelon (use the full watermelon with double of the rest of the ingredients for 8 servings)
- 2 tbsp sugar or 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Triple Sec (orange flavored liqueur) I prefer Cointreau
- ½ cup tequila (I love Cazadores Tequila Blanco)
- Mint, sugar and lime wedges for garnish
- ½ cup ice
- Cube and seed half a personal watermelon, or about 3 ½ cups of a regular sized watermelon.
- This cocktail is super simple! In a blender, combine ½ cup tequila, the cubed watermelon, 3 tbsp lime juice, 2 tbsp sugar or 1 tbsp agave, 1 tbsp Triple Sec, ice, and a few sprigs of mint if you like.
- Blend till smooth! That’s all! :)
- Use a lime wedge to moisten the rims of the glasses you’ll be serving the margaritas in. You can rim your glasses with sugar or salt, totally your preference! For these watermelon margs, I chose to use gorgeous pink Himalayan salt! :)
Serve your margaritas with a wedge of lime and sprig of mint. These are bright, refreshing, and really celebrate watermelon!
Cheers! Hope you blend up a batch the next time you’re craving a lil margarita! You can use this recipe with other fruit that’s in season as well! Strawberries would be amazing with this! :)
Share your #BrokeAndCooking recipes with me on IG and Twitter by tagging @bac_blog / #brokeandcooking! xoxo