Crack Broccoli - The Best Broccoli You'll Ever Eat
This is the best broccoli you'll ever eat. Roasting is such a delicious way to prepare veggies, and broccoli absolutely transforms when cooked in a hot oven. They turn golden brown, the stalks turn tender, and their flavor is enhanced. When roasting any vegetables, it's super simple: don't be afraid of oil & salt! Don't skimp, and toss the vegetables so that they're properly coated in oil and seasoning.
This roasted broccoli really wakes up the taste buds. Flaky sea salt, cracked black pepper, and thinly sliced garlic are the base for great seasoning, but what really brings this broccoli up a notch is the addition of shichimi. Shichimi Togarashi is a Japanese blend of seven spices that varies depending on the region or cook. The typical ingredients include sansho (Sichuan pepper), dried citrus peel, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, shiso, nori, hemp seeds, and chiles. This mixture is wonderful on meat, noodles, rice, and fried foods. I love adding shichimi to my eggs or on top of my avocado toast!
After the broccoli is roasted, finish it off with a good squeeze of lemon juice and fresh lemon zest for some good brightness and acid. The cake topper is tossing in shaved Parmesan cheese for some nuttiness. This recipe works well for regular weeknight dinners, or as a side for entertaining. There's no need to measure a ton of ingredients - just toss it all together and roast it off in the oven for 15 minutes :) Watch the video recipe below and let's get roasting!
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt or flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- shichimi togarashi
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated or shaved
- optional: thinly sliced shallots, hemp hearts, BACON
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cut the broccoli into 1 1/2" florets.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the florets with olive oil, and liberally season with salt, pepper, shichimi, and thinly sliced garlic.
- Roast the broccoli for about 15-25 minutes (more if need be), turning halfway through, until browned and tender.
- Squeeze tons of lemon juice overtop, and toss with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Serve and enjoy hot :)
I've been making this broccoli religiously - I love dishes that transform boring into magical :) The broccoli transforms into robust, earthy, and bright little trees that will make your taste buds dance. Hope you give it a try :)