Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots
It’s Cinco De Mayo, and what better to celebrate with than Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots? One thing I hate about jello shots is loosening the jello up with your finger, and then trying to get it all out of the tiny little cup. Call me lazy, but I wanted to get around this. Solution? Make the jello shots in fresh strawberries :)
What You Need:
- 20-30 Large Strawberries
- 1 small box of strawberry Jello (3 oz)
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup cold water
- 4 oz tequila
- 2 oz Cointreau
- Sliced lime
- Fresh Mint
- Sugar or salt for the rim - I used salt :)
What To Do:
- Cut the bottom of the strawberry just enough so that the strawberry can sit up straight. Don’t cut too far up, or you will create a hole in the bottom of the berry and the jello will leak out.
- Cut the top of the strawberry off and use a melon baller to hull out the inside of the strawberry. Don’t scoop too deep, or you will again create a hole in the bottom. This is why it’s important to choose large berries.
- Add the boiling water to the jello powder and stir for 2 minutes to fully dissolve the sugar.
- Shake the Cointreau and tequila in a shaker filled with ice, and add the cold water. Add this cold mixture to the hot mixture and stir it well.
- I used a small funnel to slowly pour the jello into the hulled strawberries. I used a mini muffin tin to help keep them standing up when transporting the tray. I topped each one with a small piece of mint.
- Remember that if you’re using a funnel to fill the strawberries, that you need to stop pouring Jello a little before the berry is full, since there is some liquid still in the funnel. You don’t want them to overflow.
- Refrigerate the strawberries until they are set, or overnight.
- Before serving, roll the top edge of each strawberry in salt or sugar. Top each berry with a thin slice of lime and serve cold.
When you pop one of these guys into your mouth, the mix of the sweet berry, cool shot of tequila-spiked Jello, fresh, bright mint, finished with a bit of salt are the perfect combination. Plus, what easier way to have a drink after work? :) Enjoy!