Grilled Pineapple Sundaes with Dairy-Free Coconut Ice Cream and Shichimi
Grilled pineapple is a serious dessert hack! Throwing the fruit on the grill amps up the sweetness, and the warm, caramelized edges are so delicious. Serving this simple grilled fruit with a scoop of coconut ice cream makes the easiest decadent dessert ever. The mix of warm fruit and creamy coconut ice cream is tropical heaven. The best part about this dessert is that it's completely plant-based! I'm enjoying the option of dairy-free ice cream lately, and my tummy couldn't be more happy.
When I first heard of nondairy ice cream, I was skeptical as to how ice cream could be soy-free, gluten-free, and vegan. The secret is in coconuts. Dairy-free ice cream has great texture, creamy mouthfeel, and really delicious flavor. Pairing grilled pineapple with Happy Cow Pure Coconut ice cream is a no-brainer. Adding shichimi togarashi, a Japanese spice mixture of seven ingredients such as red chili pepper, roasted orange peel or yuzu peel, black and white sesame seeds, ground ginger, garlic, shiso, nori, hemp seed, and sansho, is the perfect addition to this sweet concoction. Shichimi adds some spice; a little heat and roasted citrus that enhances the flavor of the fruit and ice cream. You can purchase shichimi togarashi at any Asian supermarket or here. Of course, you can go without it, and try other toppings like chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or even caramel sauce. Let's get grillin :)
What You Need:
- Fresh pineapple
- Your favorite non-dairy ice cream: (Happy Cow, So Delicious, Ben & Jerry's)
- Optional toppings: coconut flakes, shichimi togarashi, chopped nuts, caramel)
What To Do:
- Slice up the pineapple into wedges or rings.
- Grill the pineapple (or roast it at 450F for 15 minutes) until golden brown. You can brush the fruit with coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, or even a little butter ;)
- Optional ideas for pineapple marinade (lime juice, salt, sugar, and chili powder or rum, butter, and brown sugar)
- Serve the grilled pineapple with a scoop of ice cream and top it off with coconut flakes and shichimi!
These are sundaes gone skinny! I love the crunchiness of coconut flakes mixed in with the rich ice cream, and there's nothing like caramelized fruit. Roasting or grilling fruit dramatically transforms the flavor of the fruit, and is such an easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth. Not to mention how ridiculously easy it is to make! Try it with other seasonal fruit such as peaches, nectarines, or apples.