Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets
One of my favorite "junk food" indulgences has always been chicken nuggets. The options out there aren't that healthy; most of them are deep-fried, and heavily breaded. Sometimes we don't even know if the nuggets are made of actual chicken! Chicken nuggets are easy to make at home, and with this month's #MISSDISH recipe, I'll show you how you can replace extra breading with yummy quinoa!
Quinoa is actually a seed that is very high in protein, fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, and more. It's also gluten free. Quinoa has a sweet, nutty flavor and is delicate in texture. In recent times, it's been known as a substitute, but quinoa is so versatile, it can easily be a main!
Making Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets is as easy as a 3 step breading process and throwing them in the oven! They're baked, not fried. I love putting a twist on classic junk food by simplifying the ingredients and making them more straightforward. It's important to know what you're putting in your body. These nuggets get a little superfood boost from quinoa, while tasting just as good as your favorite fast food joint. Let's get cookin :)
What You Need:
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup flour (you can substitute wheat or almond flour if you like)
- 1 tsp salt + extra to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper + extra to taste
- 3 eggs + 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, 1 cup broth or water)
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and grease a baking sheet. This will help to keep the quinoa from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Cook the quinoa. It's important to rinse raw quinoa before cooking. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- In a pot, combine 1 cup broth or water and 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and fluff with a fork after it's finished cooking. Allow the quinoa to completely cool.
- You'll need 3 dishes for the breading process. In the first, whisk together 2/3 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. I also like to add garlic powder :)
- In the second dish, whisk together eggs and 2 tbsp water. Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper.
- The cooled quinoa goes into the last dish.
- Chop the boneless skinless chicken breasts into 2 inch chunks and season with salt and pepper. You can also season the chicken with garlic powder or your favorite seasoning.
- Dredge each chicken piece in the flour, then egg, and lastly in the quinoa. Place each nugget on the greased baking sheet.
- Spray the chicken nuggets with cooking spray; this helps to get them nice and crispy!
- Bake the nuggets for 15-20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
That's it! They turn out crisp on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce :)
The fluffy texture of quinoa is so interesting as the breading for these nuggets. This is a great alternative for fast food nuggets when your family is craving! You can even get the kids involved with the breading process :) Hope you all have a great week!