Healthy Banana Oat Pancakes
Now these are a tall stack that you won't feel guilty about! Who knew that a quick mix of oats, ripe bananas, and eggs would make a satisfying alternative to regular pancakes? These whole grain pancakes are naturally sweetened and flavored with ripe bananas, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. You can keep em simple, or add fruit or chocolate chips to the batter!
Sometimes homemade breakfast gets a bad rap – it seems like so much effort, especially so early in the day ;) but these really whip up in minutes. They're so easy, you could make these in a blender/Magic Bullet. Check out the video recipe below and you'll see how fast it till you have a stack of healthy pancakes!
Ingredients You Need:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (pulsed/ground into oat flour)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Optional: blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips, etc.
- Toppings: seasonal fruit, cinnamon apples, syrup, coconut, agave, butter
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or blender.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and use coconut oil or butter to grease the pan. Add the batter to the pan to form the pancakes of your desired size. Let the bottom set, about 2 minutes, and flip once bubbles start to form in the batter. Let the other side cook for about a minute.
- Serve hot with butter, syrup, and your favorite toppings. Seriously easy!
The subtle flavor of the banana is a really nice substitution for sweeteners like sugar. I love adding easy Cinnamon Apples on top of my pancakes because the sweet brown sugar glaze and tart lemon juice is delicious with these protein-packed pancakes. The crisp-tender texture of the cooked apples is wonderful with the soft, fluffy pancakes. Try em out! (They're also soo good with a scoop of ice cream haha :)
Broke and Cooking is all about quick, fail-proof recipes like this one. It's nice to make eating whole grains fun and delicious :) Hope you give these a try! Snap a pic if you do, and tag me on instagram @_brokeandcooking / #brokeandcooking!