Low Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
Garlicky, cheesy bread is pretty undeniable. Cauliflower crust is one of the most surprisingly delicious low carb, gluten free substitutes for bread. The cauli crust comes out fluffy and flavorful, and will wow your family - they won't know the difference :) I love dipping these cheesy breadsticks into marinara. Seriously so satisfying!
All you've got to do is rice a head of cauliflower. You can either pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor, or use a box grater to grate the cauli into tiny pieces. In case you were wondering if this cheesy bread would be soggy, that's what the next step is for. Microwaving the cauliflower helps to steam it a bit. It's important to use paper towels to squeeze out all the excess moisture before mixing up the crust. Eggs, spices, and cheese help to bind the crust together, and it bakes up firm in about 20 minutes. After that, all you've got to do is add tons of cheese on top and pop it back into the oven for 5 minutes. Your family will be asking you to make another batch in minutes. These babies go fast! :) Let's get baking!
Watch the video recipe here:
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 large head of cauliflower (riced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (pizza mix, mozzarella, whatever you have)
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheese for topping
- optional: chopped parsley for garnish, marinara for dipping
- Quarter a head of cauliflower and remove the central stem from each quarter. The cauliflower should break up into smaller florets.
- Pulse the florets in a food processor, or use a box grater to rice the cauliflower into tiny pieces.
- Place the riced cauliflower into a container with a lid; microwave for 10 minutes. (I like to line the container with paper towels so it's easier to squeeze out the moisture afterwards.
- Squeeze out all excess moisture - be careful - it's super hot
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups cheese, 3 tsp italian seasoning, 2 cloves minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper - don't use foil, as this crust will stick to foil!
- Shape the mixture into either a round or rectangular shaped crust :)
- Bake the crust for 20-25 minutes at 425F / 220 C. It should turn a beautiful golden brown.
- Sprinkle 1-2 cups of cheese (the more the better!) on top of the baked crust and return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Slice and serve with marinara sauce for dipping :)
The Italian seasoning and fresh garlic bring a warm, earthy flavor to these breadsticks, and the ton of cheese ain't bad either. It's pretty remarkable how riced cauliflower can bake up into such a delicious alternative to bread. The best part are the crusty edges! You can also use this recipe for making homemade pizza with the kids! Imagine fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, basil, and sausage on this...mmmm :)
I can't believe the holidays are approaching. This year has been such a whirlwind, and I have been learning so much. Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you give this recipe a try! If you've cooked anything from the blog, let me know! Tag me @brokeandcooking #brokeandcooking and happy eating!! :)