Baked Avocado Fries with Chipotle Lime Cream
I think we can all agree that fries are one of the greatest foods ever invented. The variety these days is astounding - crinkle cut, waffle cut, shoestring, steak, sweet potato, curly, seasoned…don’t even get me started on poutine! My favorite is a crisp shoestring fry, fluffy on the inside and perfectly salty; dipped in ketchup with tons of cracked black pepper. I don’t know about you, but I can eat way more fries in one sitting than I’d care to divulge.
With the big fight coming up, sometimes we’re looking for healthier alternatives for entertaining. It’s not easy to replicate the gloriousness of the french fry, but I have something delicious and just as tasty for you. Enter the avocado. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid. They’re also naturally sodium and cholesterol free, making it a good fat!
Avocado fries are the best of both worlds - crisp, seasoned panko crust surrounding creamy, ripe avocado slices. They’re easy and fun to make, and are the perfect snack for satisfying your deep-fried cravings! Best part is, they’re baked, not fried.
I paired these avocado fries with a quick and easy Chipotle Lime Cream, but love any number of dipping sauces for these fries, such as good ole ketchup, mustard, sweet chili sauce, ranch, wasabi-soy sauce…the options are endless. So if you’d like to find out how to make these delicious little babies, let’s get cookin!
What You Need:
- 3 ripe (but not overripe) avocados - each yields about 10-12 fries
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups panko
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Chipotle Lime Cream:
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp Chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce)
What To Do:
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a wire rack and set aside.
- Slice avocados lengthwise, removing the pits. Each halve should yield 4-6 fries, depending on the size of your avocado. I like to slice them with the skin ON for this recipe, since it makes them easier to handle at first. Totally up to you! I also find that it’s easier than using a spoon to try to scoop out the entire flesh in a clean motion. The fries come out cleaner when you slice them with the skin on.
- Peel off the skins and get your fries ready for an assembly line!
- Season the slices lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix your panko, melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Set up three bowls in an assembly line. In the first bowl, place the ½ cup of flour and season with salt and pepper. Crack the eggs into the middle bowl and beat them lightly.
- Add the panko mixture to the last bowl.
- Dredge each avocado slice in the flour.
- Next, the beaten egg, and finally coat them in the seasoned panko and place them on the wire rack or parchment paper.
- Finish coating all the fries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the panko is nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, mix up your Chipotle Lime Cream! Take an 8 oz container of Sour Cream and mix 1 tsp (or more to taste) of chipotle peppers (love this one that comes in adobo sauce), mixed with the juice of one lime. Add ½ tsp garlic powder and you’re ready to go!
By then, your fries should be nice and crispy, ready to come out of the oven! Serve them with your dipping sauce of choice and enjoy while warm! Avocados are super mellow when cooked so it’s nice to have a super flavorful sauce! :)
You can’t beat a crispy avocado fry! Have fun with these - whether for an event like the big fight, or just another night at home lol! Have an amazing week!