Baked Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
Warm white corn tortillas filled to the brim with wonderfully crisp-edged, tender tilapia, fresh mango salsa, and zesty cilantro-lime vinaigrette are the perfect Cinco De Mayo meal. Let's get cookin!
What You Need:
For the fish:
- 1 ½ lb fresh tilapia (This recipe would be great with wild halibut, but this is Broke and Cooking, right? :) Tilapia is cheaper.
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups diced mango (about 3 mangoes)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- ½ jalapeño, diced. Keep the seeds for heat, or seed it for a more mild version
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Soft white corn tortillas (You can use flour or crispy tortillas, of course)
- Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (My most recent recipe, check it out here)
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare the mango salsa by placing all the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with kosher salt and set it aside while you prepare the fish.
- Dice the avocado and top them with a squeeze of lime juice to prevent browning.
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl. Place the fish on a lightly oiled baking sheet, and coat them evenly with the spice mix and lime juice. I like to squeeze the lime first so that the spice coating is nice and even.
- Bake the fish uncovered for 11-12 minutes. It should just turn opaque and flake easily.
- You can serve these by flaking the fish with a fork, but I love a big hunk of crispy fish in my taco!
- Lightly warm and toast the tortillas in a small skillet with a spray of EVOO, and then transfer them onto plates to fold them in half while they were still warm. This helps them keep their shape!
- Serve the tacos by smearing a spoonful of cilantro-lime vinaigrette and then scooping large flakes of fish into the warm tortillas. Add a heaping amount of mango salsa and fresh avocado overtop and enjoy while they’re warm!!
These are soooo good lol. The zing of the vinaigrette combined with the sweet and savory mango salsa are perfect with the seasoned fish. They are super easy to prepare and are inexpensive for entertaining!! :) Annnd, mangoes are on sale for $1 each at Safeway right now! I hope you all have a great Cinco De Mayo weekend! xoxo