Sweet Potato Toast
Sweet Potato Toast is amazing!! It's so vibrant and colorful, and is a nutritious alternative to your regular wheat toast - not to mention it's paleo and gluten free! There are endless topping options, and today I'm sharing some yummy ideas with you to get you inspired. Sweet Potato Toast works with sweet or savory ingredients, and is so satisfying that a few of these make a wonderful meal. I'm all about using whatever you've got in the kitchen already, and the hearty, sweet flavor of the sweet potatoes is a great vessel for tons of versatility.
Sweet Potato Toast is as easy as peeling the sweet potatoes, and slicing them into 1/2" thick pieces. I tossed them into my toaster oven for 15 minutes, and then went crazy with toppings. They can be eaten at virtually any time of the day, depending on what you top them off with! My favorites were "avocado toast", where I added smashed avocado, asparagus, crispy prosciutto, and a glorious egg; and the other was almond butter and banana slices, drizzled with honey. So delicious :) Have fun with these! Let's get cookin!
Ingredients You Need:
- Sweet potatoes (I used a mix of yellow and purple!)
- Olive oil
- Chicken salad, cucumber slices, tomatoes, and parsley
- Almond butter or peanut butter with banana slices and honey
- Honeyed ricotta or cream cheese and fresh fruit
- Smashed avocado (add lime juice, diced red onion, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro), eggs
- Hummus and fresh veggies
- Smashed avocado, asparagus, crispy prosciutto, sunny-side up egg
- Bacon and eggs
- Cream cheese, smoked salmon, dill, capers, red onion
- Coconut cream and strawberries
- Avocado, sausage, and tomatoes
- Egg salad
- Ricotta, figs, and prosciutto
- Preheat your oven (or toaster oven) to 400F / 200C.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes of your choice.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2" thick pieces.
- On a foil or parchment lined baking sheet, lightly coat the sweet potato slices in olive oil and season with salt.
- Bake at 400F / 200 C for about 15 minutes.
- That's it for the cooking, lol. Top off each piece of "toast" with whatever you're craving :)
These are so fun! I love when food is easy to assemble, and just as tasty as it looks. The flavor and texture of baked sweet potatoes is fantastic as a base for whatever leftovers you have in the fridge. The heartiness of the sweet potatoes are a actually a good substitute for bread, so you can cut some carbs out! Give these a try - they're so simple to make and the options are endless :)